In the US, one of the junior firefighter programs is being offered by the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) by the name of the “National Junior Firefighter Program” which began in 2007. If you are interested in learning more about it, then continue reading.
Featured Programs and Schools
The Purpose of the Junior Firefighter Program
The purpose of the program is to develop a relationship between the emergency service departments and the community. This program by the NVFC acts as an umbrella for other junior firefighting programs all across the US to encourage the participation of the youth in activities related to emergency service and firefighting departments. Attracting people from the community at a young age fosters a strong bond between the people and the fire departments.
The Skills Learned
The junior firefighting programs provide the youth of the country a chance to learn and understand fire safety, fire prevention, and emergency medical services, etc. The programs are designed to teach the youth about the duties of a firefighter in a fun way.
Benefits of the Junior Firefighter Program
There are multiple benefits of a junior firefighters program. Some of them are:
- Developing interest in the youth about the profession
- Increasing awareness among the youth about the profession of a firefighter
- The participants learn valuable skills like teamwork and responsibility
- Educating parents about the importance of volunteer work.
The Volunteer Firefighters Network
As per the National Fire Department Registry, 16% of the total fire departments in the US are mostly volunteer whereas 70% are volunteer. 54% of the overall firefighting force in the US is comprised of volunteer firefighters.
What Are the Requirements to Become a Junior Firefighter?
If you want to join the junior firefighters’ program, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Candidates should have a minimum C grade
- Meet the minimum age requirement set by the organization
- Candidates should meet a specific number of minimum hours requirement each month
- Candidates should have written permission from their parents or guardians to take part in the program
How Long Does It Take to Become a Junior Firefighter?
The duration to become a junior firefighter will depend on the requirements set by the program you want to take part in. It will also depend on how quickly you meet the eligibility requirements.
How Much Does a Firefighter Earn?
As per the information provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, firefighters in the US earned $54,650 in annual mean salary in 2019. The median income for firefighters in 2019 was $50,850.