Dallas,TX: How to Become a Firefighter
The formation of the Dallas Fire Department can be traced back to a massive fire that occurred in the city in July, 1860, causing everything to burn down. This massive loss of life and property prompted the creation of basic firefighting equipment.
Featured Programs and Schools
Fast-forward many years, and there is now the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department. The Dallas Fire-Rescue Department is one of the finest fire departments in the country. Members of this department have put in years of tireless efforts and laid down many lives to make this organization what it is today.
If you want to join this prestigious department in its noble cause, you ought to go through the following information on how to become a firefighter in Dallas.
Requirements to Become a Firefighter in Dallas
According to the Dallas Fire Rescue Department, the following qualifications must be met by aspiring firefighters in the city:
- Candidate must be a citizen or a permanent resident of the US
- Candidate must be at least 18 years of age and at most 36 years of age on the date of the Civil Service Exam for eligibility for the position of trainee Fire and Rescue Officer
- Candidate must have a high school diploma
- Candidate must have at least 45 semester hours of college education for Fire Rescue Office applications
- Candidate must complete the physical ability test
- Candidate must pass the medical exam administered by a City of Dallas appointed physician
- Candidate must have an honorable discharge from the military, if applicable
- Candidate must have an unrestricted Texas Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
- Candidate must have a vision of 20/40 in one eye and 20/100 in the other, correctable to 20/20 and 20/40
- Candidate must have a satisfactory past employment record, if applicable
- Candidate must be free from the use of controlled substances
For an additional list of disqualifying factors, aspiring firefighters for Dallas are requested to check the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department website.
How Much Does a Firefighter Make in Dallas?
The starting pay for entry level firefighter in Dallas is $60,000.00 per year, as per the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department. If you have a four-year long college degree, the starting pay would be $63,600.00. The salary figures vary according to rank, as follows:
|Rank||Base Salary Ranges|
|Fire Rescue Officer||$60,000.00 – $79,484.00|
|Driver Engineer||$61,635.00 – $87,632.00|
|Lieutenant||$64,266.00 – $95,971.00|
|Captain||$70,414.00 – $105,118.00|
|Battalion/Section Chief||$77,246.00 – $115,361.00|
In addition to the above, employees also get education pay, service pay, educational incentive pay, certificate and assignment pay and EMS assignment pay etc. Benefits include insurance, medical, pension plans, vacation leaves, sick leaves, retirement plans, promotions etc.
How Long Does It Take to Become a Firefighter in Dallas?
The application process for becoming a Dallas firefighter may take several weeks. This would be followed by a series of tests, which would take an additional few weeks. If your application gets selected, you will then have to complete an 8-week long Citizens’ Fire Academy.