Virginia,VA: How to Become a Firefighter
Firefighters are rightly called the Heroes of America. They risk their own lives to protect others. This profession requires a lot of courage, endurance, and determination. If you think that you can fulfill these demands, then becoming a firefighter is ideal for you.
Featured Programs and Schools
Job Description of a Firefighter
As a firefighter, you will be expected to do the following:
- Respond to fire and accidents
- Provide emergency medical assistance
- Clean up and control hazardous material, such as chemical accidents and oil spills
- Enforce and inspect safety standards in residential and commercial properties
- Prepare reports regarding emergency incidents
Requirements to Become a Firefighter in Virginia
There are certain basic requirements that candidates need to fulfill if they want to join this position. These are as follows:
- The candidate should be a citizen of the United States
- At the time of application, the candidate must be 18 years of age
- The candidate must hold a GED or a high school diploma
- The candidate must hold a valid driver’s license
- The candidate should be in an excellent mental and physical state
- The candidate must have a clean criminal record. Any felonies or convictions can decrease the applicant’s chances of being recruited as a firefighter
Steps for Becoming a Firefighter in Virginia
Once the candidate has met all the above mentioned requirements, he/she can complete the application form before the registration deadline.
If the candidate gets shortlisted, he/she will be notified and will be called for an exam.
The shortlisted candidates will be required to clear a series of tests and interviews, which will test their physical abilities, reasoning skills, critical thinking skills, and cognitive abilities. These include agility and strength test, aptitude test, a panel interview, and audio interview.
After clearing the interviews and tests, the candidate will have to undergo a background screening which will include a personal and professional check, along with a criminal background check. Any felonies/convictions on the applicant’s record can ruin the chances of his/her recruitment.
After clearing all the tests and background investigations, the candidate will be finally offered a position at the state fire department. After becoming a firefighter, the individual should be prepared to undergo rigorous training which covers modules like emergency vehicle operations, firefighting skills, emergency assistance, fire inspection, and survival skills.
Salaries of Firefighters
The data below has been taken from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics and represent statistics as of May 2018.
|Wages||National Average||Virginia Salary|
|Annual Mean Wage||$53,240||$51,510|
Firefighting is one of the most rewarding careers, however it does come with a cost. If you think you can do justice to this challenging job, then go ahead and pursue this profession.