Colorado,CO: How to Become a Firefighter
Though gorgeous and picturesque, Colorado’s alpine landscape is prone to natural disasters such as raging forest fires, thunderstorms, and flash floods. Thus, the demand for firefighters in Colorado is quite high.
Featured Programs and Schools
If you want to be the hero who protects people from these catastrophes, then becoming a firefighter is an ideal career choice for you. From excellent physical health and emotional fortitude to remarkable mental abilities, a firefighter needs to have it all. If you are thinking about pursuing a career in this field, then read more to find out about what is required in order to become a firefighter in Colorado.
What Will Be Expected from You?
You will be expected to do a number of challenging tasks. Some of them include the following:
- Protect the public in emergency situations and accidents (such as fires, car crashes, chemical spills, etc.)
- Combat fires and conduct rescue operations
- Provide emergency medical assistance to burnt/injured victims
- Prevent fire damages in buildings by conducting inspections and surveys for hazards
Requirements to Become a Firefighter in Colorado
Aspiring firefighters need to meet the following criteria in order to become a firefighter:
- Should meet the residency requirements and should be a citizen of the United States
- Should be at least 18 years old
- Must have a GED certificate or a high school diploma at the time of application
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Should not have any past felonies or conviction charges
- Should be in good mental and physical condition
How Long Does It Take to Become a Firefighter in Colorado
After making sure that the candidate has met the above mentioned requirements, he/she can apply for this position. The applicant will be contacted via email/phone if they get shortlisted, after which they will be expected to clear the recruitment exam which aims to test the person’s communication, reading, reasoning, and analytical skills.
After clearing this exam, the applicant will be called in for an agility and strength test to check their physical condition. This will be followed by interviews and a thorough background check. After passing the last stage, the individual will be finally given an appointment letter, depending on the available positions in the concerned department.
Salaries of Firefighters
The data below has been taken from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics and represent statistics as of May 2018. It indicates that the annual mean wage of firefighters in Colorado is higher than the national average.
|Wages||National Average||Colorado Salary|
|Annual mean wage||$53,240||$61,160|
If you want to take up a challenging job that involves saving human lives, then this line of work is best suited to you. So wait no more and apply to become a firefighter in Colorado.