Fort Worth,TX: How to Become a Firefighter
The Fort Worth Fire Department is working hard to protect one of the most rapidly growing metropolitan cities in the country. It is providing a number of services such as fire prevention, fire and life safety education and emergency preparedness. In 2018, the department answered a staggering 118,812 calls in the City of Fort Worth.
Featured Programs and Schools
The department currently employs more than 900 employees and is constantly on the lookout for more firefighters. If you want to become part of one of the most respected and efficient departments in America, then you might want to read this guide to learn how to become a firefighter in Fort Worth.
Requirements to Become a Firefighter in Fort Worth
Before applying for the position, you need to ensure that you have met the following requirements:
- Residency Requirements: Should be a U.S citizen
- Age Requirements: Should be between 18-35 years of age
- Education Requirements: GED or a High School Diploma
- Driving License Requirements: Current and valid driver’s license
- Screening Requirements: No felony convictions. Any past charges or convictions can damage the applicant’s chances of getting hired
- Physical/Mental health requirements: Should not have any physical or mental disabilities
Firefighters are required to have the following skills and abilities:
- Good reasoning and problem solving skills
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to follow instruction and lead a team
- Good decision making skills
- Ability to work under pressure – should have strong nerves
How Long Does It Take to Become a Firefighter in Fort Worth?
There are several stages involved in the hiring process, and it may take several months to complete the recruitment cycle. After applying for the position, the candidates are required to take a written civil service exam. Those who clear the exam, have to undergo physical ability assessments, polygraph test, criminal background investigations, medical checks and an interview process. If the applicant manages to impress the interviewers, and is able to clear all the tests and screening checks, he/she is hired as a firefighter. After receiving the offer, the new recruits are sent to the academy where they receive instructions and training related to firefighting practices.
What Compensation Do Firefighters in Fort Worth receive?
Fire Trainees in Fort Worth are able to earn up to $39,915 annually while in training and up to $53,477 annually upon graduation. Thus, firefighters earn a good amount of money after graduation.
The firefighting profession can be one of the most satisfying and rewarding professions. If you have made up your mind to enter this field, then apply right away!