How to Become a Firefighter in South Carolina
Firefighting is a profession for the brave. If you have respect for this profession and want to join this field, then go ahead and apply right away. But do keep in mind that in order to be successful, you will have to meet a number of requirements and would have to clear various stages. Since there are a lot of steps involved, we have simplified information about the hiring process for you. But first, let’s take a look at what it’s like to work as a firefighter.
Firefighters are exposed to a number of unfavorable, unpleasant, and dangerous conditions. That is why they often suffer burns, stings, bites, and cuts.
- They are expected to work indoors and outdoors. Forest firefighters may have to work outside all day during major outbreaks of wildfires
- They are often exposed to chemical hazards, contaminants, and hazardous equipment
- They are exposed to very hot or cold temperatures
- They have to work in extremely dim or bright lighting conditions
- They are exposed to noise levels and sounds that can be uncomfortable and distracting
- They are exposed to heat stress
- They have to work irregular and long hours, which can cause fatigue
- While helping victims, they can catch contagious and infectious diseases.
Requirements to Become a Firefighter in South Carolina
The following criterion needs to be met:
- The individual must be a US Citizen
- The individual should not be older than 18 years
- The individual should have a High School Diploma or an equivalent qualification
- He/she should possess a valid driver’s license
- There should be no criminal charges or convictions against the applicant
- Should be mentally and physically fit
How Long Does It Take to Become a Firefighter in South Carolina?
The applicants undergo a very tough and lengthy hiring process. First of all, they are expected to clear the aptitude exam, which tests the individual’s reasoning and critical thinking abilities. Then, they have to take the physical agility exam to prove that they are physically fit for the job. Once they clear these exams, they have to go through interviews, pre-screening, drug screening, and a criminal background to check whether they have the character and aptitude for this profession.
Salaries of Firefighters in South Carolina
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual mean wage of firefighters in South Carolina was $36,300 in 2018.
Firefighters are rightly known as heroes of America. They put their lives on the line for others. If you think that you have what it takes to become a firefighter, then you should consider applying for this position.